Disability Compass offers three search options:
- The Search for Resources option is a broad search based on common words and phrases. For example, the words or phrase that describe a disability or service.
- The Advanced Search option allows you to search for an organization or a product or service. You may also include keywords to refine your search.
- The Respite Care search feature can help you locate individual care providers in your area, currently available in the Portland-metro area.
Helpful Search Hints:
- Do not use commas or other punctuations.
- Use quotation marks to create a more directed phrase search. For example, entering "down syndrome" as opposed to down syndrome will eliminate resources for other syndromes and return better results.
Searching for Resources
- To run a broad resources search, enter a word or phrase in the Search for Resources textbox and click Search. The system displays a list of all the resources that reference your terms or phrase.
- You may refine your search results by specifying location information.
Select an option from the miles drop-down list and enter a zip code in the Zip Code text box, or enter a city or county and select a state from the drop-down list.
- Click Narrow Search. The system displays a list of resources based on your original entry and the location information.
Searching with Advanced Search
- To run an Advanced Search, click Advanced Search.
- Enter the name of a product or service in the Product or Service text box, or enter the name of an organization or group in the Organization or Group text box. You may also enter keywords in the Keywords or Phrase text box.
- Click Search. The system displays information on your search and the number of resources found.
- Click Show All Results to display a list of all the resources.
- You may further refine your search by selecting an option from the miles drop-down list and specifying a zip code, or by specifying an organization name or entering keywords.
- Click Search Again to refine your search using the new search parameters.
Using the Respite Care Search Feature
- Select a county from the County drop-down list and click Go. The Compass Respite Registry displays.
- Click all individual respite providers to display a list of all individuals providing respite care in the county you specified.
- Click all organizational respite providers to display a list of all the organizations providing respite care statewide.
You may also refine your respite care search.
- Specify a location where you would like services (client’s home, provider’s home, etc.) You may select one or more of the options.
- Specify an age range. You may select one or more of the options.
- Specify a distance by selecting an option from the Distance drop-down list and entering zip code in the zip code text box.
- Click Search. A list of respite providers displays.
- Click Details to display more information on a provider’s services and qualifications.
Saving Searches in MyCompass
- To save a search so that you can run it again at a later time, when the results of a
resource search display, click Add to My Compass.
- Enter a name that is meaningful to you in the Search Name textbox.
- Click Add. The search is stored and displays in the Saved Searches list of your My Compass.
- To rerun the search, click Run Search. The system displays your search results.
- To change the name of the search, click Edit, enter a new name in the Search Name
textbox, and click Rename. The new name displays in My Compass.
- To remove the search from My Compass, click delete and confirm your request to delete the search.
Saving Individual Resources to MyCompass
- In your search results list, click Details to display more information on an organization.
- In the Organization Details display, click Add to My Compass.
- Enter a name that is meaningful to you in the Provider Name textbox.
- Click Add. The organization is stored and displays in the Providers list of your MyCompass. As with saved searches, you may view, edit, or delete the entry at any time.
©2006 Disability Navigators, Inc.